PSLF Resources for AFSCME Affiliate Student Debt Trainers - Spread the Word about PSLF Waiver Benefits and OCT 31 Deadline
Dear Student Debt Trainers,
As you know, the October 31, 2022 deadline for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Temporary Waiver is less than a month away. To ensure our members are informed about this important opportunity, AFSCME is making a big push (starting now) in the final days leading up to deadline. We are encouraging our councils and locals to join us and continue spreading the word about the PSLF waiver benefits and deadlines and ask that they assist members on the ground with basic questions about PSLF and the application process. As Affiliate Student Debt Trainers, you play a vital role in this effort. Below you will find helpful resources we ask you to distribute and/or direct members to as you engage in discussions about PSLF and the waiver that expires October 31:
- SHARE: Fillable PDF FLYER: ASK ME HOW to apply for Public Service Loan Forgiveness
These fillable PDF flyers can be used to notify your members that you are resource to help answer basic PSLF questions. Fill in your contact information and distribute electronic or printed copies. When members reach out to you, refer to the PSLF FAQs listed below and share details about the upcoming information sessions sponsored by your affiliate or national union, as well as other resources available on the AFSCME Student Debt Resource webpage. If you find you are unable to answer a member’s question, reach out to us for guidance.
- FAQ – Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program
- FAQ – Income Driven Repayments Plans
- FAQ – PSLF Temporary Waivers thru October 31, 2022
- FAQ – COVID-19 Emergency Relief
- WATCH and SHARE: Navigating the Road to Public Service Loan Forgiveness
We have new resources to assist members who want to take advantage of the temporary waiver and/or apply for PSLF. The Navigating the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Process is a recorded four-part series that walk you through how to navigate the federal student aid website and the steps to complete and apply for the PSLF program. We encourage you can use these recorded sessions to engage with members. You can show the videos as a part of lunch time meetings or share with members during scheduled zoom sessions (e.g., local union meetings, new member outreach strategy, etc.).
· Step 1 – Identify past and present employers and determine if they are a Qualified Public Employer
· Step 2 – Determine if your loans are eligible for PSLF
· Step 3 – If necessary, consolidate loans that are not typically eligible for PSLF
· Step 4 – Apply for PSLF by Submitting your Employer Certification forms annually
- ATTEND: PSLF Application LIVE Virtual Information Sessions:
We have partnered with Student Borrower Protection Center (SBPC) to offer several informational webinars to discuss the PSLF waiver provisions and answer member questions about the PSLF program. There are several opportunities to participate. Members should be directed to the AFSCME Student Debt Resource page to register for a session. Share links with members about the upcoming sessions. There are three more dates left!
Wednesday, Oct. 12 at 6 p.m. PT/ 9 p.m. ET
Monday, Oct 17 at 12 p.m. ET
Tuesday, Oct. 25 at 6 p.m. ET
- An Important Note about Loan Consolidation: Feel free to add this text to a NEW slide your current PowerPoint Student Debt Presentations
- On August 22, 2022, President Biden announced $10,000 to $20,000 in student debt cancellation for federal loan borrowers who have income below $125,000, or household income below $250,000.
- It was unclear whether privately owned Federal Family Education (FFEL) loans and Perkins loans would qualify for cancellation.
- It was recently determined that borrowers who consolidate FFEL and Perkins loans with other federal loans (e.g., Direct loans) after September 29, 2022, may not be eligible for the $10,000 or $20,000 in debt cancellation. (Loans consolidated prior to September 29 remain eligible for debt cancellation.)
- However, FFEL and Perkins loans consolidated into a Direct loan prior to October 31, 2022, continue to be eligible to receive the benefits of the PSLF waiver.
Thank you for your commitment to educating our members about the opportunities to relieve the burdens of their student debt. Your partnership is the key to our success. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me at (443) 963-9591 or (202) 429-1250.
Latisha Shaw Samuels
Online Education Coordinator, East Region
1625 L Street, NW
Washington, DC 20036