Act now: Bipartisan bill for farm worker legalization re-introduced, could head to the floor shortly
Hola Hermanas y Hermanos:
Please see below an important legislative alert from the United Farm Workers (UFW) concerning the Farm Workforce Modernization Act – HR 1603. Time is of the essence. Your immediate support in contacting your congressional representatives this week is of utmost importance. The phone # to call your congressional representative is # 202-224-3121, urging a YES vote on
HR 1603, the Farm Workforce Modernization Act – see the Twitter and Email info below.
Un gran abrazo a todos,
We are at a critical point in time. We expect that the Farm Workforce Modernization Act HR 1603 will reach the full House floor next Thursday (March 18th). Farm workers deserve legalization and citizenship. It is critical we reach congressional representatives on the urgency of voting YES on this bill.
Please amplify our message (below) by:
- Sending an email to your list about the vote and urging your members to tell their Representative to vote YES on the floor vote (Email below)
- Sharing below tweets/FB/IG posts about the above action alerts
- Have your organization Tweet/Share http://ufw.org/fwma2021house_wah with your own message re supporting the bill (please add the #WeAreHome hashtag)
- Follow @UFWupdates and @UFWF handles on twitter and retweet farm worker stories about the need for immigration reform and the Farm Workforce Modernization Act. Also follow and share the UFW & UFW Foundation on Facebook.
Here are some social media posts and tweets it would be helpful for you to uplift:
- UFW Action Alert Tweet
- Ruben Tweet: Why families need FWMA
- Daniela Tweet: Congress & Senate to pass FWMA
- Merida Tweet: Support FWMA
- Odilia FB Post: Support for Farmworkers
- Martin FB Post: Support FWMA
- Marcos Tweet: Support FWMA
Thanks and reach out if you have any questions. Jocelyn Sherman UFW Digital Director firstname.lastname@example.org 213-923-4664
We have exciting news to share with you. The bipartisan Farm Workforce Modernization Act of 2021 (FWMA) HR1603 was just re-introduced, co-authored by Representative Zoe Lofgren (D-CA) and Dan Newhouse (R-WA). The FWMA passed the House last Congress and we are urging Congress to pass it by the end of this month. Act now. Send a message to your Representative and urge them to vote “yes” on this bill.
The Farm Workforce Modernization Act creates an earned path to legal status for our current agricultural workforce and reforms the H-2A temporary agricultural visa program. The bill would put farm workers and their immediate family members on a roadmap to citizenship and provide them with protection from the constant threat of detention and deportation. No longer will children worry whether their moms and dads are coming home from work.
It would give farm workers and growers what they say they most need and want. Farm workers with work histories would immediately get legal status and gain relief from their pervasive fear so they can at last feel safe. Growers would immediately get a legal and stable workforce. Both sides must work together to turn these goals into reality by passing the legislation.
Farm workers can’t wait and the timing is critical. Farm workers have always been essential, even before the COVID-19 pandemic. They have worked hard to earn a path forward. Reach out to your Representative today and tell them to vote in favor of this critical bill.